Application deadline: 11th May 2018
After three editions in Sofia, Bulgaria and a successful first international edition in 2017 in three countries, the Cultural Management Academy continues its post-graduate program in 2018 simultaneously in Sofia, Bucharest, Thessaloniki and Sarajevo.
CMA in Sofia is a project by Goethe-Institut Bulgaria, the City of Sofia, Sofia Development Association and New Bulgarian University. The program in Romania, Greece and Bosnia and Herzegovina is organized by the local Goethe-Instituts. More about CMA and its history you find here.
The program in Sofia consists of a one-week intensive educational course in Sofia with the topic of 'Thinking forward about cultural heritage' and it includes lectures, seminars, discussions, debates and individual assignments given by Bulgarian and international professionals from the heritage sector, an online education platform with individual and group assignments. The program culminates in an international meeting on cultural management and cultural heritage and a networking fair in Sofia in September 2018, bringing together participants from Bucharest, Sarajevo, Sofia and Thessaloniki and international guest-speakers. Upon successful completion of the Academy, the Goethe-Insituts in Sofia, Bucharest, Thessaloniki and Sarajevo will fund on competitive basis start-up collaborative international projects between participants from Bucharest and their colleagues from the branches in Bucharest, Thessaloniki and Sarajevo.
In the end of 2018 the annual CMA publication with papers by participants from all four cities will be published by the organisers.
A group of up to 15 participants from Bulgaria
25-30 June, Sofia
Certified by the New Bulgarian University
A group of up to 15 participants from Romania and Moldova
2-7 July, Bucharest
Certified by the Bucharest University
A group of up to 15 participants from Greece
23-29 June, Thessaloniki
A group of up to 15 participants from Bosnia and Herzegovina
7-12 May, Sarajevo
International conference and CMA network meeting – 28-30 September, Sofia
Closed call for startup funding of new collaborative projects
Possibility to publish an article in the annual CMA publication
Joint online learning platform and materials
Network of over 100 cultural managers from Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Bosnia and Herzegovina
PROJECT THEME 2018 IN SOFIA: "THINKING FORWARD ABOUT CULTURAL HERITAGE"
Cultural heritage is usually perceived as something “old”, as legacy, as a trace from the past, as something which lays behind us. But even so, what is actually cultural heritage? It can be an artifact, a building, an artwork, a custom or a tradition, a fairy-tale or a song. Cultural heritage may belong to the museum or may be an active part of our daily life. The program of the CMA in Sofia will focus on the various notions of cultural heritage and how it could be implemented in contemporary life and put into contemporary context.
Participants will be invited to investigate the potential of cultural heritage to be innovated and to bring up innovation in the cultural sector. Through presenting good practices from Bulgaria and abroad, through lectures, discussions and workshops the program will focus on innovative practices in museums (through digital technologies and museums scenography), art in public space, architecture and urban development, legal regulations, funding opportunities, business models and new models for managing a cultural organization.
Furthermore, the program will stimulate participants to think of cultural heritage as a resource for new ideas and projects, education, innovation and exchange in the region of the Balkans and South-Eastern Europe.
Topics to be present in the course:
• What is cultural heritage?
• Common heritage in the Balkans and South-Eastern Europe
• Innovative ways of presenting and promoting cultural heritage
• Innovation in the museum
• Fundraising for cultural projects
• Dialogue between public institutions and private organisations
• Cross-border collaboration and cultural tourism
• Managing cultural organisations – leadership, new structure and business models
The program in Sofia is certified by the New Bulgarian University. Participant must meet following requirements in order to receive a certificate giving 3 ECTS and 9 NBU credits:
• presence of min. 80% of all events of the program;
• active participation and involvement in the learning process;
• submitting a final assignment: participants can choose to submit an academic paper (10 pages, to be also included in the annual CMA publication) or a details project description of a new project (it could be also used for applying for funding from the CMA Fund)
The individual contribution is 200 Euro (=400 BGN). It includes:
• participation in the 1-week intensive course and the 3-day international meeting and networking event;
• lunch/coffee-breaks during all events;
• training materials;
• access to online learning;
• expert assessment of individual work;
• mentoring/consultations with Bulgarian and international professionals;
• opportunity to develop a new collaborative cross-border project and receive startup funding of 2500 to 5000 EUR;
• 3 ECTS points and a diploma issued by New Bulgarian University if all requirements are met.
Requests for a reduced contribution can be considered to a limited extent. In that case, the organizers ask for convincing reasons.
Who can apply?
• Cultural managers, architects, archeologists, museologists, civil servants, representatives of museums, cultural institutes, NGOs, community centers (chitalishta), civil initiatives, academics and all professionals being active in the field of culture
• Working experience in the cultural sector is an advantage
• Successful candidates should have a Bachelor degree and be fluent in English and Bulgarian
• Specific experience in the field of cultural heritage is NOT required
How to apply?
• A motivation letter (max. one page) indicating: your professional background, fields of interest, motivation for participation, interest in the particular topic of the CMA in 2018, expectations from the CMA (things you are specifically interested in or you would like to learn/practice) – please, indicate if you want to receive a university certificate in the end of the course.
• Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
• Additional materials such as portfolio, links etc. (if applicable)
Please note that the package of documents should not exceed the size of 7 MB.